Historical Information for Cumberland Baptist Church


In 1883, on a hill that is now Butler Cemetery on John Smith Road, Cumberland Baptist Church was organized. Originally it was named Union Springs Baptist Church because of several springs flowing together near the church.


In 1887, a one room wooden building was constructed and dedicated under the leadership of two early Pastors, Rev. Johnny Gibbs and Rev. C.R. Hester.


During the pastorate of Rev. Hester, the small building was relocated to the present site in what used to be known as Cumberland Mills, North Carolina, a small community west of Fayetteville.


On March 18th, 1956, the name of the church was changed from Union Springs Baptist to Cumberland Baptist.


In 1960, work had sufficiently progressed on the new church educational building to permit use of it while the wooden church was torn down. The existing brick sanctuary was completed in November 1961. Some of the original framing timbers, more than 100 years old, were used as spire supports thus having been used three times as the church expanded and rebuilt.


We offer Sunday School, Children's Church, The Refuge (Youth 13-17) andAWANA program


In the fall of 1998, construction was completed on a new multipurpose building. This facility contains the church offices, a new kitchen, and a multipurpose room that serves as fellowship hall and activity area for our children's programs and social functions.


Currently the church is under the pastorate of Rev. Tim Baugus. We are prayerfully seeking God's will for the future of Cumberland Baptist Church. We are confident that God has great plans for the church in the days to come!